Expanding Arts Access in Rural Public Schools
A collaboration of the Idaho State Board of Education and the Idaho Commission on the Arts
This non-matching grant opportunity is offered by the Idaho State Board of Education for the purpose of providing grants to Idaho rural school districts and rural charter schools to support fine arts, performing arts, and design courses. These funds are intended to increase access to arts education for learners in rural public schools that otherwise may lack the resources to offer or expand such programs.
Eligibility and Restrictions
An applicant must be an Idaho rural school district or Idaho rural charter school as defined in Idaho Code, Title 33, Chapter 3, Section 33-319.
Jump to: List of eligible rural districts and charters
Applicants who received a grant in the previous year are eligible to apply. Each eligible rural school district or rural charter school may submit one application (i.e., one application per rural school district and one application per rural charter school). Applicants are advised to coordinate across schools and programs. Multiple applications from the same district or charter school will not be funded.
Applicants may request up to $15,000 in one-time, non-matching funds.
Application Submission Period
Applications may be submitted from Monday, April 10 to Monday, May 1 at 12 pm MST.*
*Original deadline of April 28 extended due to a temporary grants system issue.
July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024.
Eligible Uses of Funds
Funds may be used to purchase equipment, supplies, and curricular materials that support the establishment of, or improvements to arts education programs. The needs of multiple schools, departments, and programs may be included in a single application.
Examples of Eligible Uses of Funds
The following are some examples of eligible uses of funds. The grants may support—but are not limited to—the following:
- Purchase of online curriculum materials in the arts.
- Purchase of technology and software to offer fine and performing arts courses, and design courses that are not part of the Career and Technical Education curriculum.
- Purchase and repair of instruments to start or expand a band or orchestra program in multiple schools.
- Purchase of materials to upgrade or enhance set design capabilities for a theatre program.
- Visual art equipment and supplies such as stools, easels, paints, and brushes.
- Purchase of a printing press to offer a printmaking course.
- Purchase of a kiln and ceramic supplies.
Funds may not be used for the following purposes:
- Personnel or contracted services costs.
- Professional development activities.
- Design courses that are part of the Career and Technical Education curriculum.
This grant opportunity is administered by the Idaho Commission on the Arts on behalf of the Idaho State Board of Education.
Grant applications are submitted through the online WebGrants portal of the Idaho Commission on the Arts. The grant guidelines and application forms may be found here: https://grants.arts.idaho.gov. Final funding decisions are made by the Idaho State Board of Education.
Applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts whose recommendations will be sent to the State Board of Education for approval in May 2023. Applicants will be notified of process results in June 2023.
Grantees will submit a final report upon completion of the grant or by July 31, 2024, whichever comes first.
Applications are submitted through WebGrants https://grants.arts.idaho.gov. Completed applications will include the following required components:
- District or charter school registration in WebGrants, requiring pre-approval during normal business hours.
- Applicant general information and approval of the grant application submission by an authorizing official.
- Answers to the following four narrative questions:
- Population served and need to be addressed: Briefly describe your school district or charter school, the population served, and the need addressed in this grant application. (max. 250 words)
- Proposal Description: Briefly describe how you intend to use the funds. (max. 250 words)
- Anticipated Demand: Describe anticipated student demand for the course or programs supported by this grant request. (max. 200 words)
- Sustainability Plan: Provide a sustainability plan for ongoing support of the arts curricula supported by this grant request. (max. 250 words)
- Budget form that asks for itemized expenses and a grant request amount. (maximum request of $15,000)
Eligible applications will be reviewed against the following criteria:
- The learning needs of the population served are clearly stated.
- The proposal addresses these learning needs.
- The applicant provides a plan to sustain the activities supported by this grant application.
- The budget for the use of funds is clear, complete, and supports the need as stated.
Applications that are recommended for funding will be prioritized as follows until available funds are fully committed:
- First Priority—applications from districts and charter schools that were not funded through this grant opportunity in the prior year.
- Second Priority—for prior-year recipients of this grant opportunity, earliest applications by date and time of submission.
List of Eligible Rural Districts and Charter Schools
|381||American Falls Joint District|
|383||Arbon Elementary District|
|394||Avery School District|
|072||Basin School District|
|033||Bear Lake County District|
|485||Bingham Academy Charter|
|477||Blackfoot Charter Community Learning Center|
|061||Blaine County District|
|234||Bliss Joint District|
|101||Boundary County District|
|365||Bruneau-Grand View Joint School District|
|412||Buhl Joint District|
|111||Butte County Joint District|
|121||Camas County District|
|432||Cambridge Joint District|
|151||Cassia County Joint District|
|483||Chief Tahgee Elementary Academy District|
|161||Clark County District|
|242||Cottonwood Joint District|
|342||Culdesac Joint District|
|221||Emmett Independent Dist|
|531||Fern-Waters Public Charter School|
|487||Forrest M. Bird Charter District|
|215||Fremont County Joint District|
|071||Garden Valley District|
|282||Genesee Joint District|
|192||Glenns Ferry Joint District|
|231||Gooding Joint District|
|231||Gooding Joint District|
|148||Grace Joint District|
|233||Hagerman Joint District|
|508||Hayden Canyon Charter School|
|479||Heritage Academy District|
|305||Highland Joint District|
|370||Homedale Joint District|
|073||Horseshoe Bend School District|
|596||Idaho School For The Deaf And Blind|
|468||Idaho Science & Technology Charter|
|540||Island Park Charter School|
|251||Jefferson County Jt District|
|261||Jerome Joint District|
|304||Kamiah Joint District|
|391||Kellogg Joint District|
|283||Kendrick Joint District|
|084||Lake Pend Oreille School District|
|021||Marsh Valley Joint District|
|363||Marsing Joint District|
|536||McCall Community School dba Mountain Community School|
|421||McCall-Donnelly Jt. School District|
|011||Meadows Valley District|
|136||Melba Joint District|
|331||Minidoka County Joint District|
|193||Mountain Home District|
|244||Mountain View School District|
|418||Murtaugh Joint District|
|372||New Plymouth District|
|302||Nezperce Joint District|
|149||North Gem District|
|480||North Idaho Stem Charter Academy District|
|465||North Valley Academy Charter|
|351||Oneida County District|
|171||Orofino Joint District|
|472||Palouse Prairie Charter|
|371||Payette Joint District|
|364||Pleasant Valley Elem Dist|
|044||Plummer-Worley Joint District|
|191||Prairie Elem District|
|201||Preston Joint District|
|252||Ririe Joint District|
|414||RISE Charter School|
|243||Salmon River Joint School Dist|
|312||Shoshone Joint District|
|052||Snake River District|
|150||Soda Springs Joint District|
|292||South Lemhi District|
|041||St Maries Joint District|
|322||Sugar-Salem Joint District|
|488||Syringa Mountain Charter District|
|401||Teton County District|
|416||Three Creek Jt Elem District|
|532||Treasure Valley Classical Academy|
|287||Troy School District|
|486||Upper Carmen Charter|
|083||West Bonner County District|
|253||West Jefferson District|
|202||West Side Joint District|
|288||Whitepine Jt School District|
To apply for this grant, follow the link to grants.arts.idaho.gov. If you’re new to our online application system you will need to create a user account and be approved by Commission staff. New account registrations are approved during regular business hours. Questions? Call 208-334-2119 or email firstname.lastname@example.org